We would always recommend attending a organised display rather than doing your own fireworks, as this greatly reduces the risk of harm.
However, if you are organinsng a fireworks display at your home please follow this advice:
- Store fireworks in a sealed box
- Do not drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Stand well back when the firework has been lit and ensure others are far back as well
- Never go back to a firework that has already been lit
- Keep a bucket of water nearby
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
- Keep pets indoors
If you are using sparklers, make sure you wear gloves and have a bucket of water nearby to put them in when you have finished. Never let children use sparklers unaccompanied.
Organising a firework display?
Guidance on organising large firework displays
Guidance on organising small firework displays
- Build bonfires well clear of buildings, fences, and hedges
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire, or burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, or batteries
- Don't leave bonfires unattended - even for a minute!
- Always keep a buck of water or hosepipe nearby in case the fire starts to get out of control
- Call 999 immediately if you start to lose control of the fire