Things you can do to prevent burns
- Keep hot appliances out of reach of children. Check hair straightners and irons are cooling down somewhere safe.
- Check appliance cables are not hanging down, which children could pull on.
- Keep secure fire guards in front of open fires, log burners, heaters and radiators and take care with children around BBQs.
- Keep candles, matches and lighters out of children's sight and reach.
- Flamable materials including fancy dress clothes can catch fire very easily. Be careful if your children are wearing them near flames.
- Bonfires should be built away from the house, sheds, fences and trees. Have a bucket of water or a hose nearby in case of emergencies and keep children and pets away.
We would always recommend attending an organised bonfire or fireworks display, but if you do host your own:
- Follow instructions on each firework using a torch to read them.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby.
- Light fireworks at arms length.
- Never return to a lit firework, even if it hasn't gone off.
Children's skin is a lot more sensitive than adult's. Always:
- Slip on a t-shirt.
- Slap on a sunhat.
- Slop on some sunblock (factor 50 for children).