Winter Fire Safety
With fuel costs rising, BFRS would like to offer safety advice in concern of people looking to use alternate ways to heat their homes.
Stay safe this winter
- If you are not using your heating, it would be advisable to wear more clothing to keep warm and/or using a hot water bottle.
- Please take care if using anything that needs to be put in a microwave, such as heat packs, and only heat for the designated time.
- Instead of using candles to light your home, we’d recommend battery operated LED candles.
- Take care where using portable heaters and never dry clothes on heaters and make sure to keep them away from furniture or combustible materials.
- If you have a chimney place make sure to have this swept before using by a qualified chimney sweep and have swept regularly.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) risk;
- Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas and is known as the ‘silent killer. It’s colourless, doesn’t smell and is produced by an incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood.
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year
- Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented
- Have your chimney swept regularly by a qualified chimney sweep
- NEVER use portable BBQ’s, camping stoves or other cooking equipment that needs ventilation in a home or a tent
- Have a working Carbon Monoxide alarm in your home and test this weekly to make sure it is working
- If someone is struggling financially it would be recommended to contact your local Council and seek what support is available. Financial support will be based on a persons financial circumstances and so people will be asked questions to see if they qualify
- Visit Citizens Advice for further information Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills - Citizens Advice
- BFRS have started a partnership with a charity called Turn2Us. This is an advocacy charity that can offer financial support. The charity will ask questions and support will be searched dependent on an individuals circumstances. For further information please visit Fighting UK Poverty - Turn2us
- Book a Home Safety visit with BFRS. This involves a visit to a persons home to offer home fire safety advice, fit smoke alarms and we can also fit CO alarms. To book a home safety visit please follow this link Safe and Well Online Referrals (bedsfirealert.co.uk)