We are currently recruiting Group Managers please click on the following link for more information and to apply:
Last updated 17 October 2019
We are currently NOT recruiting Wholetime (full-time) Firefighters
Follow us on social media (@bedsfire) to keep up to date with when our next application process opens and to get more information about getting firefighter fit. You can express your interest in a firefighting career by visiting our Join Us page.
ABOUT BEING A FIREFIGHTER
With Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service you will start on a salary of £23,366 per annum progressing to £24,399 per annum after initial training, up to a maximum of £31,144. This could be the start of your career with us as you can rise through the ranks to be a Crew Commander, Watch Commander and Station Commander, before taking on a specialist role within our organisation.
Firefighters deal with fires in all types of premises and attend a variety of specialist incidents. These can include Road Traffic Collisions, Chemical Emergencies, Flooding, Water Rescue and Animal Rescue. Firefighters are also proactive in Community Safety, delivering education and undertaking preventative activities within the communities they serve.
In order to apply to be a firefighter you must first ensure you meet the following entry criteria:
- Live either within the Bedfordshire county border or within 10 miles of the boundary of the county of Bedfordshire (as determined by Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service's mapping system).
- Be able to prove your eligibility to work in the UK. You will be asked to supply evidence of this.
- You must have a full and current driving licence that entitles you to drive in the UK without restrictions by the date of pre-employment checks. You will be required to provide evidence of this during the recruitment process.
- Not be subject to any criminal convictions, which are not yet spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. This includes any offences dealt with by a court of law, HM Services disciplinary procedures and any driving offences. A Disclosure and Barring Service check will be carried out prior to employment.
- Be 18 years of age by date of employment.
- Be able to swim and self rescue from calm water.
- Hold 3 GCSE’s at level 4 (grade C) or above in Maths and English, and one other subject (or equivalent). (N.B. Maths and English must be specifically stated in addition to your other qualifications.)
- This is a public-facing role and it is essential to have the ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English.
Full training in all aspects of the role will be given. If successful, you will be required to work a 24 hour shift system. The shift rota pattern is a 24 hour shift followed by 72 hours off.
You will be required to wear a uniform.
These criteria are subject to change.
Please note that Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service does not accept direct transfers from the on-call (retained) duty system to the wholetime duty system. In addition please note that any firefighters currently employed by another Fire and Rescue Service will be required to complete the full recruitment and selection process.
We are an equal opportunities employer that welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Find out more about the application process:
You can express your interest in a firefighting career by visiting our Join Us page.
Wholetime Firefighter Information