Wholetime Firefighter Recruitment
Applications for Wholetime Firefighters are currently closed.
To register your interest please click here
Follow us on Instagram WIRE@bedsfire to stay up to date with the latest information, hints and tips on wholetime recruitment and so much more.
Wholetime Firefighter Information
You will start on a salary of £24,191 per annum progressing to £25,198 per annum after initial training, up to a maximum of £32,244. This could be the start of your career with us as you can rise through the ranks, all our uniformed senior management team started their careers as firefighters, so you could be our future Chief Fire Officer.
The role of a modern day firefighter is very broad based, requiring a range of skills which will challenge you in more ways than you may imagine. It’s more than putting out fires and rescuing cats stuck up a tree! Our firefighters protect the community, inspire young minds, educate people to keep them safe and excel by being a role model for future generations.
To apply for a wholetime firefighter post, you must meet the entry criteria set out below at the application stage of the process:
- Live within 10 miles of the boundary of the county of Bedfordshire (as determined by Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service's mapping system). You will be asked to supply evidence of this as part of the recruitment process, a list of what we can accept as proof of address can be found here.
- Be able to prove your eligibility to work in the UK. You will be asked to supply evidence of this as part of the recruitment process, a list of what we can accept can be found here.
- Have three GCSEs grade A* - C/ 4 - 9 including English Language and Mathematics or equivalent. Please note that if they are equivalent, the equivalent to English Language and Mathematics grade A* - C must be included. You will be required to evidence your qualifications as part of the recruitment process. For more information on qualification requirements see below.
- You must have a full and current driving licence that entitles you to drive in the UK without restrictions by the date of your pre-employment checks.
- Not be subject to any criminal convictions, which are not yet spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Including any offences dealt with by a court of law, HM Services disciplinary procedures and any driving offences. A Disclosure and Barring Service check will be carried out prior to employment.
- Be 18 years of age by date of employment.
- Be physically, mentally and medically fit enough to pass the national selection tests and medical assessments.
- Be able to swim and self-rescue from calm water.
- This is a public-facing role and it is essential to have the ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English.
- Be able to work at any of our fire stations across the county (see map)
- Full training in all aspects of the role will be given. If successful, you will be required to work a 24 hour shift system. The shift rota pattern is a 24 hour shift followed by 72 hours off.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and PPE (personal protective equipment).
This criteria is subject to change.
Please note that Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service does not accept direct transfers from the on-call (retained) duty system to the wholetime duty system. In addition please note that any firefighters currently employed by another Fire and Rescue Service will be required to complete the full recruitment and selection process.
Firefighters need to be people who not only reflect our communities but also want to put something back into those communities. We are an equal opportunities employer that welcomes applications from all sections of the community.